Tantra in the Western Himalayas
What is Tantra? Why is it so misconstrued? How does one understand Tantra in its Himalayan setting? What are the mysterious practices relating to the Tantric sects ?
Interested in Enrolling?
Tantra represents mysterious esoteric practices and literally means an ‘instrument to expand’. Learn about tantric traditions, their history and iconography as seen in the Western Himalayas. Learn about Shaiva and Shakta sects in Hinduism, and the Vajrayana traditions in Buddhism
- History of Tantra in the Western Himalayas
- Iconography and symbolism in Tantra
- Tantra practices and traditions
Recommended for archaeologists, anthropologists, historians, and just about anyone.
- Sonali Gupta LL.B., Ph.D. (UCLA) specializes in Archaeology and has worked for nearly a decade in Egypt, India, Indonesia, and Malaysia. She is an anthropological archaeologist and has led the first international field school in India under her project “Myth and Reality in the Himalayas.” She has taught at UCLA, the National Museum, New Delhi, and her Institute of which she is the Founding Director, the Himalayan Institute of Cultural & Heritage Studies, situated in Kullu Valley, Himachal Pradesh. Her core area of research is cultural transmission of both tangible and intangible cultural heritage. She has various projects in collaboration with Flinders University, Institute of Field Research, University of Delhi and, the Archaeological Survey of India.
- Gupta has taught at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), the National Museum, New Delhi, and her Institute situated in Himachal Pradesh, the Himalayan Institute of Cultural & Heritage Studies (HICHS), of which she is the Founding Director. Her core area of research is cultural transmission of both tangible and intangible cultural heritage. She has various projects in collaboration with Flinders University, Institute of Field Research, and the University of Delhi.
Have Any Doubts?
Drop your details below and we will get back to you in a jiffy to clarify any doubts you have.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you will get an e-certificate on completion of the course (during that month)
Yes, you will get a recording link for a limited time only if you miss a class
Yes, this course is tailored for everyone.
The timings are usually in the evening, Indian Standard Time, if you are in another time zone, we can record the sessions for you.
You click on the "Enroll Now" button and transfer through Razor pay to the HICHS Foundation
Please keep checking the website. We may repeat it in due course.
Yes, this is a virtual course with active engagement with students.
For the Middle Himalaya course, students get assignments and are graded as well.
Yes, the lesson will be rescheduled