What is the law on culture and heritage? How does one navigate the process? How does one help in bringing culture and heritage within the ambit of law? How does one save heritage buildings and the past in ruins? Who does one contact?
The course will help all interested in saving our tangible and intangible cultural heritage through the process of law. Students will get insight into worldwide conventions and laws relating to heritage, Indian customary law, Indian law governing cultural heritage, traditional knowledge, and awareness with various case studies.
- An understanding of law relating to culture and heritage in India
- An awareness in the application of law relating to culture and heritage
- Ability to understand the nuances of law and how it impacts culture and heritage
Recommended for practitioners of law, cultural heritage, archaeologists, anthropologists, art historians and all those who are interested.
- Saif Mehmood, LL.B., Ph.D. is a litigating and corporate attorney, an advocate of the Supreme Court of India and Delhi High Court. He is an author of the book, “Beloved Delhi”, a book about the Mughal City and her Greatest Poets. He has widely written on subjects of his academic interest and legal practice. He is well known in the Urdu literary circuit with his passionate recitations of Urdu poets. His earnest engagement with Urdu poetry enables him to do his bit for our intangible cultural heritage and how.
- Sonali Gupta LL.B., Ph.D. (UCLA) specializes in Archaeology and has worked for nearly a decade in Egypt, India, Indonesia, and Malaysia. She is an anthropological archaeologist and has led the first international field school in India under her project “Myth and Reality in the Himalayas.” She has taught at UCLA, the National Museum, New Delhi, and her Institute of which she is the Founding Director, the Himalayan Institute of Cultural & Heritage Studies, situated in Kullu Valley, Himachal Pradesh. Her core area of research is cultural transmission of both tangible and intangible cultural heritage. She has various projects in collaboration with Flinders University, Institute of Field Research, University of Delhi and, the Archaeological Survey of India
Have Any Doubts?
Drop your details below and we will get back to you in a jiffy to clarify any doubts you have.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, you will get an e-certificate on completion of the course (during that month)
Yes, you will get a recording link for a limited time only if you miss a class
Yes, this course is tailored for everyone.
The timings are usually in the evening, Indian Standard Time, if you are in another time zone, we can record the sessions for you.
You click on the "Enroll Now" button and transfer through Razor pay to the HICHS Foundation
Please keep checking the website. We may repeat it in due course.
Yes, this is a virtual course with active engagement with students.
For the Middle Himalaya course, students get assignments and are graded as well.
Yes, the lesson will be rescheduled